Sunday, November 27, 2011

I Remember When... We Went to Prague

Prague, August 14, 2006
From Damien Vanderpool:

I perused Pegs’ website while having a few minutes at work today, and I read your story about the chips.  I wanted to post on the site myself, but the firewalls here at work won’t let me, and I wanted to write this now while it’s still vivid in my mind.  The thought of paprika chips reminded me of our visit to the Czech Republic, and 3 things instantly came to my mind:

  1. Every neighborhood in Prague had its own manhole cover, and they were all, oddly enough, quite beautiful.
  2. The memory of all the statues along that bridge in Prague (a more observant/educated man would know the name of the bridge since it’s so famous, but alas I do not). [Ed. note: The bridge Damien is referring to above is the Charles Bridge, which is one of the most famous sites in the city, lined with 30 statues and offering a beautiful view of the Vltava River]
  3. Pegs’ use of the word “guy” when referring to anyone (e.g.-“How’s it going, guy?”).

It is because of that trip (and Pegs’ humor/delivery) that I use that phrase on a regular basis to this day (and this vacation was about 5 or 6 years ago, wasn’t it?).  I think that was probably the first time I got to hang out with Pegs without the whole family there for more than a few minutes.  I had such a great time.  Thanks again for letting me be the 3rd wheel with you guys.

-Damien

p.s.-the memories are flooding in!  I also remember how the castles would have wallpaper that looked like stone, and we would remark on how cheesy it was and odd.

Click on the jump below to see some more pictures.

Prague, August 12, 2006
Prague, August 13, 2006
Pegs and Damien on the Charles Bridge; Prague, August 13, 2006
Pegs on the Charles Bridge; Prague, August 13, 2006
Damien and Pegs trying to figure out where we are; Prague, August 13, 2006
View of the Charles Bridge from Prague Castle; Prague, August 14, 2006
Damien, Lee and Pegs resting on a bench; Prague, August 14, 2006
Pegs with something good to eat; Prague, August 15, 2006
Damien and Pegs in Wenceslas Square; Prague, August 15, 2006
Lee and Pegs in front of the Prague Orloj; Prague, August 15, 2006
Pegs and Damien posing sulkily; Prague, August 15, 2006

No comments: