Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Panagiota Preferences: Family

One thing that always amazed me about Pegs was how easily she got along with my entire family. She wasn't the most outgoing person by nature; she was retiring and tended not to dominate the conversation. In my family, whether on my father's (American) or my mother's (French) side, discussions tend to be loud and animated. The decibel level reaches dangerous proportions whenever more than five of us get together, and if it's a family reunion, you pretty much need to wear ear plugs to keep your eardrums from bleeding. I was genuinely afraid that Pegs would get intimidated or lost in the shuffle, especially when interacting with the French side because of the language barrier. But if there was one thing that outweighed her naturally quiet nature, it was her love of family. She may not have been the loudest person in the room, but her quick responses and witty insights often provoked the loudest laughs. For a family that prides itself on one-upsmanship, she more than held her own.

Panagiota was especially close to my French grandparents, whom she got to know very well while we lived in France. In fact, it was Panagiota who would often suggest going to visit them on the weekends; I don't know of very many 30-somethings who would push their spouses to spend half of their weekend going to visit their in-laws. I'd like to think that says a lot about my family, but I think it says even more about Panagiota.

New Orleans, Thanksgiving 2006
Bondues, Christmas 2008

Las Vegas, 2010

No comments: