Thursday, October 20, 2011

I Remember When: We Made Dinner

Not just any dinner. A full home-made thai dinner. I won a thai cooking lesson from the Message annual general meeting. I told Panagiota about it and she bought herself the same lesson so we could do it together and make dinner for our husbands. The idea was that the woman, Kochapan, would take us shopping, buy all the rather exotic ingredients, make dinner in her gourmet kitchen and then pack it all up to take home.

Everything was going so well. Until the roses. We were simmering and chopping and throwing in dashes of this and that, the smell was taking over my brain it was so good. Then we started with the vegetable carving. Part of the lesson was to learn how to make apple doves and lotus napkins and.... tomato roses. In order to make a tomato rose, you must peel an entire tomato without breaking it, and the peel should be approximately even the whole way. Panagiota peeled her tomato, swirled it in to a rose and started on her napkin. By my fourth tomato, I was starting to get a little frustrated.

Panagiota: Mmmm. What are you doing, exactly?
Me: I'm making a tomato rose!
Panagiota: I ....beg to differ.
Me: She's coming back soon and she's going to see them! They're mangled!
Panagiota: Give it to me.

Panagiota takes my tomato that looked like it had been peeled with a hatchet, finishes it up, swirls it in to a rose and puts it in front of me. Kochapan walks back in, looks at our roses and gives a little nod of satisfaction to Panagiota's and a nod of...acceptance to mine. You'd think I'd gotten away with murder I was so relieved. See if you can guess which tomato is which from the photo.

I had trouble with the napkins too.


No comments: