Friday, October 21, 2011

Carrot Cake Recipe / Email from Susan Smith

An email to Lee from Susan Smith:

Thank you for your invitation to contribute something to the website. I have no stories, videos or pictures, but I do remember that when Panagiota decided to leave BNPP, her culinary abilities became notable. Among many others, I have wonderful memories of her delicious carrot and courgette cakes. All her recipes should be put on the website.

My wish for Sofia is that she will be as beautiful and lovely as Panagiota was and that she will inherit all of her qualities, and particularly the ability to follow a recipe. Since you know how incapable I am at things technical, may I please ask you to insert something onto the website on my behalf?

Thank you.
All good wishes, Susie

Wedding reception; Susan at right
As always, Susie, your wish is my command! I've included the recipe for Panagiota's carrot cake, which always seemed to be a particular hit while we were in Paris, after the jump. She had a bit of trouble with the frosting, which invariably turned out runnier than she would have liked, but it was undeniably delicious. My favorite memory of this recipe is the first time Panagiota and I decided to make a carrot cake for the people in my office (many of whom gave me the hairy eyeball when I said that such a cake even existed), and as often happened, she wasn't satisfied with how the first cake turned out ... aesthetically. So she made another one. I think that I gained five pounds that week. I hope that you all enjoy the recipe after the jump!

Cake Ingredients:

3 medium-sized carrots, peeled
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mix of salt, nutmeg and cloves to taste
1 cup corn oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsps vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Cut 2 carrots into 1-inch dice, place in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and puree in a food processor or blender.  Set aside.

2. Grate the remaining carrot; reserve.

3. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Line the bottom with wax paper and grease the paper.

4. Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and spice mix into a large bowl. Add the oil, eggs and vanilla; beat well. Fold in the carrot puree, grated carrot, walnuts, raisins and pineapple.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.

6. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding it onto a rack, then let the cake cool completely.

7. Prepare the frosting: Mix the cream cheese and butter together in a bowl. Slowly add the confectioners sugar. Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice. Frost the cake.

2 comments:

Brooke Sing said...

Simmering and then pureeing the carrots! Brilliant! I always just shred mine, I'm totally trying this this weekend.

Derek said...

Felix and Dave will definitely thank you profusely. And if Isadora is allowed any cake at this point, I'm sure she will, too.